A few years back, I remember telling a bunch of people at a party that I had ditched my shampoo and switched to a herbal hair wash.
There were a few who laughed on hearing this because at that time all natural skin care was just for hippie chicks. In fact, one guy even smirked at me and asked, ‘So, you’re washing yourself with mud, huh?!’
In the beginning I was a bit surprised, I mean, I thought choosing natural & organic skin care would be the most logical thing any intelligent person could do.
It was only after some time I realized that…
…it wasn’t this person’s fault if he had never learnt about how toxic regular store-bought gels, soaps, creams, lotions are.
Just like him, I also grew up watching glitzy ads on TV with fancy floral shampoos and refreshing deodorants (which usually had a man or woman playing scientist in a lab coat making fake claims about the product).
And it was only when I happened to go to a health retreat, that I found out how messed up the beauty industry is.
How billion-dollar companies dump toxins into our bodies and into our oceans, And how that stuff makes you sick, and can even contribute to Cancer, that I wised up.
Ever since that day I haven’t looked back, or bought a bath, beauty or skin care product which disrespects my body. And seriously, I wish that someone had told me about natural skin care when I was younger – I’m sure my skin would be in better condition than it is now.
Yet I’m so glad I got an insight into what I was doing to my body, and that I’ve been diligently following this path for a couple of years and let me be frank, it hasn’t always been easy. That’s I want to make your transition to natural, organic, vegan skin care as smooth as possible.
Here’s my little gift to you – The Ultimate Guide To All Natural Skin Care.
All Natural Skin Care
Now this is a total no-brainer. All natural skin care means looking after your skin using only ingredients that are found in nature.
That means, ditching the weird formulas that scientists have created in a lab with a whole range of complex chemicals. The names of which you can’t even pronounce (which by the way, were also tested on little cute animals, so not cool).
Women & All Natural Skin Care
By the way, has it ever occurred to your that most of the commercial skin care products for women are developed by men in lab coats. There’s no connection, right!
On the other hand, women who started foraging for herbs thousands of years ago, developed a relationship with their bodies and made skin care almost a ritual.
If you think about it, caring for your skin naturally is itself the ritual of honoring and respecting your body.
Women have been using natural ingredients from the earth – be it forests or oceans (and even their pantries) to do natural skin care for centuries.
All natural skin care is based on a simple rule – you should be able to eat whatever you put on your skin.
That being said, you can’t expect to put something on your skin and wait for that glow because…
any all natural skin care routine is only full effective and complete when you:
- eat a well-balanced diet full of whole foods
- drink lots of water
- sleep well, exercise regularly
- build an all natural skin care routine and,
- make self-care a priority
Watch this video to get all inspired to make your homemade natural skin care essentials:
Let’s dive into the reasons why you should go ALL natural.
Benefits of All Natural Skin Care
1. Safe for your skin with no weird side-effects
Ever looked at your skin closely in the mirror and noticed all those tiny pores.
Well, you know what, your skin is kind of like a sponge – it’s porous and it absorbs 60% of what is applied on it.
Hidden inside your regular beauty & body care products are nasty artificial preservatives, which ensure a long shelf life for the product but also have negative impact on your health.
Even if conventional skin care products smell reaaaally good and lather very well, don’t forget that they are full of toxic ingredients like parabens (which harms your endocrine system) and SLES (this chemical makes soaps & shampoos later but it also irritates your skin and eyes).
Remember, if it’s on your skin, it goes inside your body.
Do you have any clue what these toxins do to your body? They are known to build up within your body, and even mess with your reproductive system.
Natural skin care is different.
It nourishes your skin, actually repairs it (don’t get fooled by all those shiny ads in magazines about the new ‘skin repair’ formula). It can even reduce inflammation, fade away pigmentation and protect your skin from sun’s harmful rays.
When you’re going natural look for organic skin care products which are made with plants & herbs grown WITHOUT highly toxic pesticides & fertilizers.
2. Less acne breakouts and flareups
Your makeup, lotions, creams and sprays are loaded with allergy causing chemicals and artificial colors that make your skin go crazy. They irritate the skin, make it red, swollen and even itchy.
The good thing about all natural skin care products is that they’re gentle on your skin (one can be also be allergic to certain kinds of food, so it’s always good to do a patch test when you’re using organic skin care brands for the first time).
3. For overall good health
Ayurveda – which means the science of life – believes that your skin mirrors your health.
If you apply nourishing all natural skin care products, eat well and avoid stress, your skin will quite literally glow (plus you’ll feel great in your body with far less aches and pains).
4. Save yourself from headaches (literally)
Have you ever opened a bottle of moisturizer or used a toner and found the fragrance overwhelming?
That’s because a lot of artificial fragrances are dumped into such products to make them appealing. But actually they cause headaches and even trigger migraines in some people.
I particularly can’t stand the smell of extra ‘fruity’ shower gels & shampoos and I feel like I have to get away from them immediately.
Have you ever felt like that when you sprayed deodorant? Then you’ll surely know what I’m talking about.
5. Safe for lifelong use
Sometimes you can get instant results with a conventional skin care cream but have you ever thought what it will do to you in long-term?
That’s why I practice all natural skin care because I know that I can rely on natural, organic, wildly harvested and forest collected ingredients for a lifetime without worrying about damaged my skin
6. Good for Mama Earth
If you’re like me who segregates your household waste, brings your own bag to the farmers’ market, and generally gives a damn about the planet. Then you probably know that factories which manufacture cosmetics release a lot of nasty effluents in the water, and as a whole, the industry is responsible for extremely high levels of pollution.
Which is yet another reason to commit to an all natural skin care regime, as not only does it help keep your skin in tip top condition, but it’s also more respectful to the planet.
The best thing about all natural skin care, is that while you can of course buy pretty pre-packaged beauty products – and every now and again you TOTALLY should. The reality is, you can make some incredibly effective treatments and products yourself, your very own kitchen.
Now before you hurry off and start looking for your latest organic skin care product purchase, I recommend you keep reading, as I’m about to share my best natural skin care tips with you.
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS (for all skin types)
Whether your skin is super sensitive or showing signs of aging, you can cleanse, moisturize and exfoliate your skin with all natural skin care products (made at home or bought from a reliable brand).
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS FOR NORMAL SKIN
If you have normal skin (which is a blessing), here’s what you can do:
- Cleanse your skin with apple cider vinegar and if you don’t like how vinegar smells, pamper your skin with this all natural Cleansing Wash – Rose Du Jardin from French Girl.
- Moisturize with coconut oil. If you you’re looking for a moisturizer which can also be used as a massage oil, check out this organic vegan Lavender Body Butter by Metta Skincare.
- Exfoliate with an ubtan that contains with besan (chickpea flour). Don’t have the time to make your own ubtan? No worries, this Young Coconut Face & Body Scrub by NuReveal looks so delicious you might want to eat it.
And while I may be a little bias the Apothecary7 Renew body ubtan rocks my world, especially when you activate it with the tridoshic activation oil.
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS FOR DRY SKIN
Dry skin can be such a pain – it gets flaky, itchy and requires even more attention in winter. To keep your dry skin happy, do this:
- Cleanse with rose water or rose petal powder paste. If you love coconut milk as much as I do, you might want to cleanse your face with this organic vegan Coconut milk Face Wash by Moon Rivers Naturals.
- Moisturize with a homemade avocado face mask. If you want to deeply hydrate your skin every day, this Revitalizer, Beautifying Supercritical Body Oil by Maya Chia can do the trick for you (no sulphates, no parabens).
- Exfoliate with a sugar scrub like this unscented all-natural Naked Organic Body Scrub by Organic Bath Co.
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS FOR OILY SKIN
Is the oiliness making your face shine more than you want? Then you probably need to include these ingredients in your natural skin care routine:
- Cleanse with lemon juice & sugar and if you haven’t got the time to do that each morning, go for this Palmarosa + Aloe Face Wash by Earth Tu Face which has zero toxins.
- Moisturize with a mix of aloe vera gel & rose water.
- Exfoliate with a face mask made with clay, charcoal or Fuller’s earth. If you can’t get your hands on any of these things, try this Mermaid Mask by Leahlani Skincare which is made with spirulina and other heavenly superfoods.
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
I know sensitive skin is probably the most worrisome, but have you ever thought all that sensitivity may be happening because of allergens in your regular skin care products?
Create an all natural skin care routine for sensitive skin with these steps:
- Cleanse with extra virgin coconut oil & raw honey. You can also soothe your skin with this cooling Strawberry & Chamomile Botanical Clay Cleanser from Balm & Co.
- Moisturize with apricot oil or aloe vera. If you have inflamed skin which needs a good dose of turmeric, ʻŌlena Oil by Honua Hawaiian Skincare can provide you daily relief & a healthy glow.
- Exfoliate with a papaya face mask. If you feel like you want deep skin healing just with herbs, this Active Enzyme Exfoliator from Josh Rosebrook is worth considering.
ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE TIPS FOR MATURE SKIN
Are you beginning to see pores and fine lines on your forehead & eyes? That means your skin is maturing and needs way more love than ever. Ditch those nasty chemicals immediately and start an all natural skin care regime for mature skin:
- Cleanse with rose water. Our Apothecary7 tridoshic activation water smells so divine as it also include witch hazel.
- Moisturize with olive oil. If you’re not keen on slathering olive oil on your face, then this Potion No.2 – Age Defying Serum by Jennette All Natural Skin Care might be what you need.
- Exfoliate with a rice flour face mask. If you like something ‘citrusy’ and want to tighten your skin pores, try this yummy vegan Grapefruit Body Scrub and Polish by The Wild Sprout.
Whether you’ll have dry, oily, aging or tired skin, follow any of those regimes above for a few weeks, and you’ll see just how effective these best natural skin care tips are.
Seriously, if feel drawn to create a lifelong nourishing skin care routine, then the sooner you switch to natural & organic skin care brands, the better it is for you.
Now, as I mentioned above, you can either get shop bought products, or put on your pinny and chefs hat and start brewing up some fabulous concoctions at home.
Check out this handy list of all the natural ingredients which will make your skin shine.
DIY ALL NATURAL SKIN CARE INGREDIENT LIST
You can find all these ingredients in your pantry, garden or neighborhood health store (and if you can’t find something, you can always order it online).
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Almond oil
- Rose water
- Rose petal powder
- Sea salt
- Cane Sugar
- Raw honey
- Chickpea flour
- Rice flour
- Mung beans
If you’re still reading, I gotta say your commitment to self-care is commendable.
Saying that, you’ve finally come to the end of The Ultimate Guide To All Natural Skin Care, and I really REALLY hope you found it useful.
Got questions, please leave your comments below.
And if you liked what you read, help me spread the word about the goodness of all natural skin care by sharing this post.
If you’re looking for Ayurveda-specific skin advice, head over to my post Ayurvedic Skincare.
AYURVEDIC SUPER-TEA BREWING GUIDE
Get your free brewing guide sent directly to your inbox